First-Through Renders

Posted: February 1st, 2010 | Author: | Filed under: production | 7 Comments »

I’ve been rendering out 1.0 versions of the movie pieces to disk.

This takes a while – one 20 minute sequence takes about two hours, and that ratio seems to hold up with a few other sections. The machine can be used for other things while this goes on, so it’s not a complete paperweight, but editing on the same machine is pushing it a bit. Doubling the editing machine’s ram from 2GB to 4GB made a huge difference – crashes were happening previously and the machine kept running out of memory. All that’s gone.

After I know all the assets list (the amount of ‘items’ on the DVD) I’ll list it here, in general terms, just so you know. There’s a DVD-ROM section with games, photos, speeches and other material – that’s a different deal. This is just all the different stuff you can watch. It looks like it’ll be upwards of 4 hours of “stuff”.

Still trying to have stuff ready for PAX, but it’s coming down to the wire, and again, quality wins. I have many hundreds of orders, and obviously they get this stuff first – it’s going to be quite a few days of mailing for me.

7 Comments on “First-Through Renders”

1. 1 Rich said at 7:28 pm on February 1st, 2010:

Off-topic, but I gotta know: where did you purchase the lamp?

2. 2 Jason Scott said at 7:29 pm on February 1st, 2010:

The lamp was bought through an online mail-order firm who then stopped selling it. I bought 3. One has been destroyed in filming. The other two are getting by. I’d love to buy more. It was made in India.

3. 3 Ken G. said at 8:15 am on February 2nd, 2010:

Destroyed? What’d you do?

4. 4 Jason Scott said at 9:18 am on February 2nd, 2010:

Packed poorly in suitcase.

5. 5 Rich said at 5:25 am on February 5th, 2010:

That’s too bad. I would have liked to purchased one for my mantel. Does this particular style of lamp have a name, something I could search on?

6. 6 Patrice Aubry said at 1:57 am on February 6th, 2010:

@Rich

We call them “lampes-tempĂȘte” in French. Equivalent names in English are “hurricane lanterns” and “tubular lanterns”.

7. 7 Rich said at 6:38 am on February 9th, 2010:

@Patrice

Thank you so much for the link! I’ve been wanting to purchase a couple of these lamps, but never knew what they were called.