GET LAMP Shipping Delayed; PAX Premiere On as Scheduled

Posted: March 6th, 2010 | Author: | Filed under: production | 21 Comments »

I had been hoping not to write something like this, but I hope the reasons for writing it make sense.

Basically, things are taking a lot longer on a lot of fronts and GET LAMP will not be released on DVD within March. I’m now shooting for April, early May. I’d love to be surprised and have it earlier in April, but I don’t think it wise to commit to that.  While many pre-orderers are fans and a bunch bought the BBS Documentary and might remember that delay, I also understand people saying they’re not comfortable with this, and would prefer a refund and to order GET LAMP when it’s out, and if so, please mail me and I’ll make the proper arrangements with you to get your money back.

Make no mistake: this project is real. 4000 DVD digipaks which I’ve paid for are sitting in a warehouse, and 4000 slipcases are about to be printed with my final approval. The proof coins are now being made and will be sent to me shortly, at which point the coins are going to be sent to me as well. (I wonder how much 4000 coins weigh, anyway….)

There’s multiple reasons for the delay. I’ll explain them but first, let me say the PAX premiere is going to happen, have no worry there. I’ll see you there, and I can tell you with pride that on schedule for the panel after the movie is Steve Meretzky, Dave Lebling, Brian Moriarty, Andrew Plotkin, and Nick Montfort. Plus a surprise guest or two. So that’s on, don’t worry about that.

One major delay has been rendering the material from the HD master files, and using video noise reduction. This adds hours to the process, which basically ties up the machine. That’s why things got so far into this year.

Another has been that I’ve been very careful about proofs of EVERYTHING, so I’ve made the various places send me verified PDFs and hard-copy proofs in the mail. This somewhat-more-expensive process has already paid off, fixing a problem with colors on the slipcase. I’ll be doing the same with the DVDs (printing proofs and then testing and approving them). This adds iterations to what’s completed.

Next is the opportunity to record additional commentary tracks with some of the people associated with the content and movie – arranging schedules and preparing track lengths so people can add commentary is taking some time. I have a field of betatesters watching footage, and they keep finding minor but important bugs, like a mis-defined acronym or a transition that’s broken. They make it better but then we end up with that rendering again.

Finally, I’ve just been making absolutely sure everything is as high quality as it can be. I’ve watched stuff a dozen times, have been making changes, clearing up lines of narrative, adding in additional informative shots, and so on. The DVDs have 25 extras of footage and counting, the ROM section is huge, and so on. It’s just a big project.

So there we are. I’ll be taking pre-orders at PAX and at a booth to discuss the movie/production and answer questions, and I hope that you’ll see the causes for the delay. Thanks for understanding.

21 Comments on “GET LAMP Shipping Delayed; PAX Premiere On as Scheduled”

1. 1 Arnt Richard Johansen said at 2:42 am on March 7th, 2010:

Don’t worry, Jason. It’ll be worth the wait.

2. 2 gnome said at 3:28 am on March 7th, 2010:

No problems here. It’s ready when it’s ready. Just keep it up!

3. 3 Dennis G. Jerz said at 4:35 am on March 7th, 2010:

>z
    You wait patiently. (It will be worth it.)

4. 4 RootShell said at 4:54 am on March 7th, 2010:

Jason, please take your time and make it as perfect as you can… We will wait the necessary time because we are lovers of IF. :)

Kind Regards

5. 5 Brad Jewell said at 10:20 am on March 7th, 2010:

Take your time.
    I’d rather have a product that your happy with shipping out.
    Thanks again for all your hard work.

Regards,
    Brad

6. 6 Jacqueline A. Lott said at 10:42 am on March 7th, 2010:

I’m with all the others, the wait is no problem, and I wouldn’t think of asking to get my money refunded. Besides, I have spent the last year or two listening to you talk about this project… it either really exists or you’re one OCD liar. ; )

7. 7 Andy Kosela said at 1:31 pm on March 7th, 2010:

If the movie gonna be as nice as trailers on youtube, then it’s gonna be a real historical monument for the whole IF world and beyond, just as was the case with Nick Montfort’s excellent book.

8. 8 Johan Herrenberg said at 2:18 pm on March 7th, 2010:

As all the others are saying – one month’s delay is nothing. Just make the DVD as good as you can, and this fan will be satisfied.

9. 9 Josh Renaud said at 6:52 pm on March 7th, 2010:

I don’t mind waiting a bit more.

On a different note, will there be any way to see video of that panel discussion after the premiere at PAX? Sounds like it will be an awesome time.

10. 10 James Mudge said at 6:37 am on March 8th, 2010:

No worries; production always takes longer than you think. I’ve just placed my pre-order and very much look forward to seeing the final product at PAX East!

11. 11 Rex Rhino said at 8:15 am on March 8th, 2010:

Why the commentary track? From what I understand, the documentary is mainly interviews… it is not like the director commentary on a Hollywood blockbuster?

I understand the need to have everything perfect… but really, the commentary stuff seems like overkill.

12. 12 Eric said at 8:28 am on March 8th, 2010:

No worries at all– it’s the final product that matters, and we’re all looking forward to seeing it. I’d rather have a product with which you are happy that ships a month later than your original projection than have something that was rushed out the door.

13. 13 Patrick said at 2:52 pm on March 8th, 2010:

>diagnose

You are cool with waiting for GET LAMP. Your blood pressure is 100/60 because getting it right trumps getting it fast.

14. 14 oryx said at 9:38 pm on March 8th, 2010:

meh – I mind waiting! I want to watch it as soon as possible! I have no choice but to wait. Anyway, looking forward to it whenever it arrives.

15. 15 Joline Desrosiers said at 11:45 pm on March 8th, 2010:

I will be at the premiere. That is one amazing panel you have there. I always hoped to get to see one Infocom author at a con someday… I never dreamed of listening to three on one panel!

16. 16 Oscar Tejero said at 1:42 am on March 9th, 2010:

..Time passes…

I´m agree too, this must be a remarkable thing so time isn´t a big deal.
    I really appreciate that you included subtitles… In Spain there were Spanish adventures and a community of people playing American and Brittish adventure games. Good old times…

17. 17 Susan Mellott said at 7:13 am on March 9th, 2010:

No problem. It takes what it takes. I just appreciate the effort and good work you are putting into it and it is just that much more anticipation to enjoy and to get excited about.

18. 18 RossH said at 11:13 am on March 9th, 2010:

I’ll take the 1 month delay for a more polished end product without any complaints. :-)

19. 19 Nate Cull said at 8:37 pm on March 9th, 2010:

Woo, commentary tracks! I love those.Worth delaying for.

20. 20 Mike said at 8:57 pm on March 10th, 2010:

Gutted on the grounds I’m so excited for this DVD! But if there’s a delay, so be it. Can’t wait, all the best.

21. 21 Ansley said at 11:26 am on April 5th, 2010:

Been waiting for two years now.. can wait a little while longer.