Coins and Numbering and How That Goes

Posted: April 19th, 2010 | Author: | Filed under: production | 18 Comments »

A couple of weeks ago, I sent the check to the coin company and they cashed it and we’re off to the races on that front – the mint is running and I’ll be getting the first few thousand coins in the mail (well, you know, via some mailing-like thing) and storing them until the other critical pieces are ready to be mailed out.

The coins have numbering, from 0001 and heading upwards, and I’m already getting specific “requests” for individual numbers. I just don’t think this is the way things are going to go down – some people have waited years for these coins and someone jumping in line as regards the numbers wouldn’t be a very nice way to thank these believers.

Here is, roughly, how coins are going out.

The first 10 are being reserved, either for charity auctions or to go to specific people, like Don Woods, who were so critical to production there wouldn’t be one without them.

The next 150 are going to the Adventurers’ Club who invested in the movie so long ago, and are now going to see dividends on it. The coins will be done 11-61 to each person, then 62-111 to each person, and so on, so each member gets a sub-0100 coin.

The next set of 80 or so go to people who were interviewed, who all get a free copy of the movie.

The next come in the order in which people bought the documentary. Straight through. Order #5 is before Order #6, and so on. And so on.

While I realize people would like to be able to offer more cash and get lower numbers, again, I just don’t think that’s fair. People who ordered the movie and who helped with production should not be shoved to the back of the line by people waving money.

So there’s the setup. Thanks to everyone being so interested in the coin.

18 Comments on “Coins and Numbering and How That Goes”

1. 1 Mike Maginnis said at 11:18 am on April 22nd, 2010:

I don’t suppose I could request a higher coin number? Say “6502”?

2. 2 Jason Scott said at 11:21 am on April 22nd, 2010:

Very sneaky, Mike. I’d have to think about that. Bear in mind that 4000 copies are all that are initially being made, so you might have to wait quite a while.

3. 3 metoikos said at 12:14 pm on April 22nd, 2010:

It makes me happy that you are doing things this way. It is the opposite of the full-of-it-ness that one sometimes sees in technology circles. Whee. ( :

That said, what would I need to do to get 2082? (the number on the prototype SID chip)

4. 4 Gunther said at 2:17 pm on April 22nd, 2010:

So much for getting #69,105… ;)

5. 5 Robohara said at 2:40 pm on April 22nd, 2010:

I will just keep buying copies until I get 666. Also if you could sign it “THE BEAST” that would be awesome.

6. 6 Austin Seraphin said at 9:27 pm on April 22nd, 2010:

I joined the Adventurer’s Club, and got interviewed. What coin number do I get?
    Haha, I don’t really care, I just thought it an interesting mental puzzle, the kind one might find in a text adventure.
    I also like the coins because they have “feel appeal.” Feelies, I think they called them. I can’t wait to see what you’ve put together.
    What did you make the coins out of? Copper?

7. 7 Tom Pipes said at 12:16 pm on April 23rd, 2010:

I must confess that I was excited when the coin proof was posted. The numbering system is more-than-fair, and I cannot wait to get mine, no matter what number it is. They look real top notch, Scott.

8. 8 Rich said at 1:03 pm on April 23rd, 2010:

I really don’t care what number I get, as long as I get one. Are there enough coins for all the preorders, or will some people who ordered late not get one?

9. 9 Mike said at 2:35 pm on April 23rd, 2010:

I think that’s a great way to do it. It’s totally fair, and so nice to see that money doesn’t talk in some cases…it’s for charity first, then ones who’ve helped see the DVD happen, then first in first served. Can’t be fairer.
    I’ll be very interested to have a special number on mine determined by how far down the preorder list I was.
    Exciting…can’t wait as usual…

10. 10 Jason Scott said at 7:59 pm on April 23rd, 2010:

There are more than enough coins for the current pre-orders, and the intention is to have a coin for every copy sold.

11. 11 Sean Huxter said at 8:41 pm on April 23rd, 2010:

Very fair.

Hmmm… wonder who’s getting lucky #42?

Sean.

12. 12 Richard Hewison said at 6:24 am on April 30th, 2010:

Love the coin idea. I’ll look forward to getting a coin somewhere between 161-240! ;-)

13. 13 Jon said at 5:53 am on May 3rd, 2010:

Steve Meretzky should get #42, for reasons that should hopefully be obvious.

14. 14 James Mudge said at 3:32 pm on May 3rd, 2010:

Steve Meretzky should get #42

Hear, hear!

15. 15 Sean Huxter said at 4:52 pm on May 3rd, 2010:

I think by popular vote, Steve Meretzky should get #42.

16. 16 Randy said at 9:31 pm on May 6th, 2010:

Jason, thank you so much for this endevor. Have just placed my order for the documentary (OK, plus coin!) My first PC game was a text adventure on a Vic 20 (loaded through the cassette interface) and there has been nothing to compare since. Thank you for rekindling the memory.

Randy

17. 17 Chris said at 5:38 pm on June 3rd, 2010:

I’m kind of sad that I missed out on being a part of “The Adventurer’s Club”. A few years ago, I made a cash donation to the production of “You Must Be This Tall”, a documentary about Rocky Point Amusement Park, and they put my name in the end credits. Seeing my name roll by on the theater screen on premiere night, and knowing that it will be seen every time the film airs on TV or is screened in a theater is just the coolest thing ever.

18. 18 Jason Scott said at 11:48 pm on August 8th, 2010:

For the record, Steve Meretzky got #42.