Coins Arrive

Posted: May 12th, 2010 | Author: | Filed under: production | 10 Comments »

The coins have arrived from the Monterey Company. These are the custom GET LAMP coins that will be included with each and every copy sold.

I could only afford to order enough for half the GET LAMP run (2,000 coins), but as soon as I can afford it, the second 2,000 will be ordered.

In case you’re wondering how big or small a pile of 2000 coins is, here’s some photos.

Sent Fed Ex, the coins came in 5 boxes, each with a few smaller boxes inside them:

Box of Coins

Written on the top of the box is the number series that’s inside, like 0200-0300 and so on.

Inside each of these smaller boxes, to my surprise, was a bag:

Bag of Coins

There’s something kind of cool about getting a bag of coins. And as we were taught from childhood, if you get 100 coins, you get an extra life.  I currently have 20 extra lives.

The bag contains a clear plastic bag with stacks of the coins:

Bag Inside the Bag of Coins

They almost look like teabags inside this thing. I split apart the 0001-0100 series and put them into the box, so I could sort through them:

Coins in a Box

So, for the record, here is coin 0001:

Coin 0001

Coin 0001 is about to be shipped to Don Woods.

And here is coin 0042:

Coin 0042

As per the request of quite a few people, both privately and publicly, Coin #0042 is going to be given to Steve Meretzky.

If I wasn’t already committed with the pre-orders and the duplication payment to have the packaging made, having thousands of coins in my room would seal the deal. This is quite a lot of coinage in one place, and it will never be in the same place again.

So there you go, the coins are a reality, and waiting to be paired with the packages in the future.  Great stuff.

10 Comments on “Coins Arrive”

1. 1 krux said at 11:00 pm on May 12th, 2010:

Very cool stuff.

2. 2 V said at 8:44 am on May 13th, 2010:

The bag is nifty. You should do a nifty thing with it.

And yay for Meretzky getting 0042.

3. 3 doberlec said at 9:29 am on May 13th, 2010:

Hey Jason, can you make a photo of a coin with an familiar item (e.g. match) beside it for size reference? I’d like to have a feeling on how big the coin is going to be.

4. 4 Jason Scott said at 9:31 am on May 13th, 2010:

Here you go: http://www.flickr.com/photos/textfiles/4484237377/

5. 5 M0SS4d said at 9:09 pm on May 13th, 2010:

Jason,

Very nice of you to publish your fingerprint online. :)

6. 6 Jason Scott said at 8:25 am on May 14th, 2010:

Quick, frame me for a crime I didn’t commit! I’ll go underground and film like Banksy.

7. 7 Eric said at 8:40 am on May 14th, 2010:

Those are some impressively good looking coins. The bags are mighty nifty as well.

8. 8 doberlec said at 9:20 am on May 14th, 2010:

@Jason: terrific, thanks!

-Daniel

9. 9 John c said at 5:30 pm on May 16th, 2010:

Coins rock. Get the DVD out soon. Can’t wait. All my best. Jc

10. 10 Sean Huxter said at 12:57 pm on May 22nd, 2010:

Speaking of Banksy, I found a Banksy rat in Boston in late April! It’s even documented on Google Street View. In that one angle of the item shows no rat, a different angle on the item shows the rat, so it was done between two Google Street View photo sessions of the area of Boston down by the Contemporary Art Institute. And the Globe posted an article about two others found in Chinatown and Cambridge. But they didn’t know about the one I found!

Oh. Anyway… that coin is larger than I expected! And it’s very nice!