Editing Update

Posted: May 13th, 2010 | Author: | Filed under: production | 12 Comments »

People, thanks for being so patient. I know I’m behind schedule, and that the release date I thought I’d have this out has flown by.

It’s not for lack of working on it. I chose a very complicated approach and that means that there’s a lot of footage I’m still making into cohesive sequences for the various branches.

Bonus features are done. The main branch is done. The bedquilt special feature is done. A lot is done. But I am not completely done.

During part of this year, I changed up a lot of my life, and that took time, and I also am an incessant, insistent editor, trying to make stuff flow best.

That’s all I can really say. It’s going to come out. But it’s delayed, and I realized that. When the DVDs are finished and they arrive from the printer, I will be up solid for days mailing out hundreds of pre-orders.

Until then, I am very appreciative of everyone being patient. I could drop teaser sequences, but I don’t know if that’s going to change anyone’s opinion in any directions. I think it’s better to just present the whole thing, a finished package.

I’ll try and keep up the granularity of information on where I am. For example, I spent the last two days editing dozens of comments about the nature of puzzles for the Puzzles Branch of the main feature. It’s coming along nicely. But it’s not quite done. And so on.

Work continues. This is what I am primarily doing with my days.

12 Comments on “Editing Update”

1. 1 mike said at 9:01 pm on May 13th, 2010:

Good things take time, of course we’re all hanging out for the DVD but appreciate the work required and the work you’re doing on it! I think we’re all of an age where you wonder where the time gets to…! Cheers for the updates.

2. 2 Marc said at 10:42 pm on May 13th, 2010:

If your work turns out as good as we’re all hoping it will, these DVDs are really something to treasure for the long run rather than a quick “I’ll have a peak” and then never to be watched again.

I can wait for it and you’ll get there.

3. 3 Jan said at 11:29 pm on May 13th, 2010:

Jason, your attention to detail is commendable, and I’m well happy to have pre-ordered the DVD back in December ’09.

Take your time.

4. 4 bloodyhell said at 11:56 pm on May 13th, 2010:

Take your time. There probably won’t be another documentary on the same subject so I would rather this one to be very good. But it wouldn’t hurt if you update your progress more frequently so that we know what’s going on.

5. 5 Johan Herrenberg said at 1:02 am on May 14th, 2010:

Thanks for the update, Jason. Being a slow perfectionist myself, I know why this taking longer than you would have wanted. Never mind – it’s the result that counts!

6. 6 Rich said at 5:02 am on May 14th, 2010:

Speaking only for myself: I would prefer that you take your time and make the best product you can. I can’t wait to see it, but I’ll take later over sooner if it means a more enjoyable DVD.

7. 7 Eric said at 8:38 am on May 14th, 2010:

I’ll just join the chorus of voices saying that it’s the end result that counts, and we’d all prefer to see something that meets your standards and realizes your vision in a way that makes you proud.

Very much appreciate the update, though!

8. 8 doberlec said at 9:33 am on May 14th, 2010:

As I work in the games industry myself, I’m used to delays *grinning*. I can only recommend the good old “when it’s done” attitude because for one your delays won’t be perceived as such and secondly the expectations will also be managed easier than passing along dates which might not be held to whatever reason.

So don’t pressure yourself into too much agony over missed milestones and keep on crafting – all comments here support you. By the way I was happy to see in a very tiny corner of the screenshot that you already work with a 720p master so there may be a time in future when we can get our fingers on the HD version!

-Daniel

9. 9 James said at 11:09 am on May 14th, 2010:

Oh, it’s 2010, I’ll take the best IF DVD you can put together – I’m not particularly attached to which week it comes out :)

10. 10 Harry said at 3:28 pm on May 14th, 2010:

Take your time, Jason. We all owe you.

11. 11 Dennis Jerz said at 4:57 pm on May 15th, 2010:

>z
    You wait, patiently and happily.

12. 12 Amy said at 9:31 pm on June 3rd, 2010:

Take your time, Jason. We all owe you.