The Gold Left Behind

Posted: May 26th, 2010 | Author: | Filed under: production, Text Adventure History | 9 Comments »

Here’s something not going into the movie or DVD:

I recorded 120 hours of interview footage from 85 interviews conducted over a few years.  From those hours, I cut things down to about 30-40 hours of clips. From those 30-40 hours of clips, I ended up with 4-5 in the rough mix of things, and now it’s getting to be an amount smaller than that.  People who made or are interested in text adventures have a few shared traits, one of which is they are brilliantly well-spoken.

Therefore, my cut-aside and ultimately left-aside clips are sometimes really cool on their own.  Where I can, I’ve made them bonus features, especially when I’ve edited a large sequence only to find it doesn’t fit anywhere in the branches.

Ultimately, of course, the full interviews will be uploaded, but that’s a lot for people to go through, although I think a lot of the interviews are fascinating on their own.

Until then, enjoy the clip.

9 Comments on “The Gold Left Behind”

1. 1 Chris Orcutt said at 12:01 pm on May 26th, 2010:

Yeah, he’s right about 12 being that Golden Age. I remember well the sinuous raptures of Ms. V.–a woman who lived up the stair…

2. 2 Jon Radoff said at 5:52 pm on May 26th, 2010:

Holy Frobozz. He really nailed it.

3. 3 Paul O'Brian said at 7:13 pm on May 26th, 2010:

YAY Lebling. He is so right. And let’s see, 1982… yep.

Count me as one of those who can’t wait to watch the full interviews.

4. 4 Joline Desrosiers said at 8:09 pm on May 26th, 2010:

That is a brilliant obsevation. (I would expect no less from him, of course!) 12 is a highly impressionable age between child and teen where passions are born easily and the mind holds onto them for a long time.

I’m apparently a late bloomer, though. I was 18 when I discovered Infocom, and as a result a lot of other things that have stuck around to the present.

I really look forward to the full interviews!

5. 5 Sean Huxter said at 5:54 am on May 27th, 2010:

Yeah, I was about 19 when I got my first C64 and played “Suspended” which completely confounded me and almost turned me off IF totally, until a week or so later an older friend of mine got “Infidel” and asked if I could help him with it. Well within 15 minutes we had found the pyramid and were well underway to a lifetime of loving IF.

I was a bit older than 12, but the effect is the same for me. Those games that I played through college, (the roster includes almost all of the INFOCOM games) will remain the best for me.

6. 6 Michel Vuijlsteke said at 1:43 pm on May 28th, 2010:

I was twelve in 1982. My first adventure game was ADVENT. And then I got Zork I, II and III. And then I bought all the Infocom games as they came out.

The one that got to me the most was Stationfall — poor little Floyd!

7. 7 Patrick said at 4:08 pm on May 30th, 2010:

Heh… it’s so true. My first IF was Zork II in 1982, and I kept playing ‘em, but I didn’t get to my all-time fave Trinity until 1986 – at the age of twelve!

In between the two I tried to wrap my head around Robert Pinsky’s Mindwheel. At age ten. I didn’t get very far. :)

8. 8 Michael Keeney said at 8:51 pm on June 1st, 2010:

Wow, a very keen observation. I was 12 in 1984 – the same year I purchased my Apple IIe with paper route money. That was also the same year I purchased Zork I at the local Waldenbooks. (My mother gave me $40 because my sisters had each gotten a perm and she didn’t think it was fair that they got $40 worth of hairdo, and I got nothing….) :)

Great memories, and his observation is right on.

9. 9 Brett Brewer said at 1:57 pm on June 2nd, 2010:

Jason, the suspense is killing me. I know you’re working hard, but I’m going crazy knowing this movie is almost done and not being able to see it! In the meantime, anyone that hasn’t seen Jason Scott’s other amazing work, “BBS: The Documentary”, is really missing out.