Mastering and Dupe

Posted: July 17th, 2010 | Author: | Filed under: production | 13 Comments »

I dropped that photo and disappeared.  Let me drop another and disappear less.

These are two sets of the two discs of GET LAMP, just before they got fedexed to the mastering facility which will then hand them off to the duplication facility which will then go to the packaging facility, where 4000 boxes of GET LAMP have been patiently waiting the last few months to be assembled into the final package.

After these packages are shrink wrapped, they’ll be sent to two places – one, to my home, where roughly a thousand copies will be faster-shipped and the rest shipped slightly slower (read, less expensively) and then a couple hundred to a hotel in Las Vegas, where I will be selling copies of GET LAMP at DEFCON and the Classic Gaming Expo.

At my house, I have a team of people, who you’ll hear of shortly, who will be assembling and mailing out the ordered packages. Ideally, it’ll be every single pre-order in a couple days.

So, people looking for hard dates, here you go: DVDs out the door starting somewhere on the 28th-29th, all pre-orders out the door by August 3rd. Since this is such a huge undertaking (there’s roughly 1000 packages going out), there’s some room for trouble and headache, but that’s what we’re working on.

Every order gets a coin. Some people got the impression, I found out, that the coins are only for pre-orders or only up to a certain number. In fact, there’s a coin for every DVD package I’m intending to make for the run, which is 4000 copies. If the day comes I exhaust the current run of copies (again, 4000), we’ll see where things go, but for now, I promise, a coin per package.

If I sound like I’m hedging bets here and there, it’s because submitting a master is only the first step in a process which is mostly out of my hands. I won’t switch the ‘pre-order’ link on GETLAMP.COM to ‘order’ until copies are sitting in my house, waiting for the chance to be mailed out. Similarly, I won’t activate the alternative payment links (like Kagi and Amazon) until same.  So you’ll know when I have the stuff in my possession because all those links will activate and I’ll start selling orders in earnest in a lot more methods of payment.

Almost there, in other words!

13 Comments on “Mastering and Dupe”

1. 1 Johan Herrenberg said at 10:12 pm on July 17th, 2010:

The great days are arriving! August will be a month to remember in IF history. My eagerness to see the finished product is now increasing at a dangerous rate…

2. 2 Chris Peterson said at 10:48 pm on July 17th, 2010:

Awesome news! I remember pledging $100 to help fund GET LAMP way back in 2005. It’s been a long wait, but worth it. Like Johan said, GET LAMP is an important film.

3. 3 Mike said at 11:07 pm on July 17th, 2010:

Sounds fantastic. Can I ask what postal method you’d be using to send out international orders? Just for a rough guesstimate of travelling time!

4. 4 Brad said at 8:18 am on July 18th, 2010:

thanks again for all the hard work..

soon the Get Lamp will be in hand..
    and then the world…..
    Muwahahaha…

5. 5 doberlec said at 10:48 am on July 18th, 2010:

Weeeeeeeeeee! *nuff said* ;D

6. 6 rafael said at 1:54 pm on July 18th, 2010:

hi!, as Mike said, will you email people about shipping international? i preordered, and live in Spain, maybe you’ll use USPS ?

thanks!

7. 7 Sean Huxter said at 3:08 pm on July 18th, 2010:

A perhaps annoying question at this stage – but it’s prompted not by lack of trust or any other such silly thing, but by a lack of ability to remember almost ANYTHING on the part of the asker:

How can we confirm that we have pre-0rdered? I recall doing so god knows how long ago, but the way my memory works, I can never be certain. Is there a way to check?

Sean.

8. 8 Jason Scott said at 9:16 pm on July 18th, 2010:

Sean, I show you ordered a copy on Feb 26, 2010. As for the rest, I’ll explain mailing in more detail.

9. 9 Sean Huxter said at 9:27 pm on July 18th, 2010:

Thanks, Jason. I can NEVER keep track of these things. I thought I did, but… well… I wish I had a better memory.

10. 10 Tom Glinskas said at 8:46 am on July 20th, 2010:

I’m with Sean, I know I ordered…and I received an email from you once saying you were offering those who were too cranky/impatient a refund if they wanted because it was taking longer than anticipated.

I laughed at that email and promptly deleted it.

Can you confirm my order, too (he asks nervously)?

These final days of waiting will be excruciating!

11. 11 Jason Scott said at 8:55 am on July 20th, 2010:

You did a fan pre-order (saving 25%!) on December 15th, Tom. Thanks for ordering and believing.

12. 12 Tom Glinskas said at 9:07 am on July 20th, 2010:

Thanks, Jason.

Numfar, do the “Dance of Joy.”

13. 13 Chris Kostelec said at 7:12 am on July 21st, 2010:

I’m getting super stoked for this to come out!