GET LAMP: The Tour (Update: Page is Live)

Posted: August 18th, 2010 | Author: | Filed under: production | 15 Comments »

This came up very fast, within the last 12 hours actually, so if it seems like you haven’t heard of this before, that’s why.

Last year, the JetBlue airline offered an insane “All You Can Fly” deal for one month, from the beginning of September through to the beginning of October. A lot of people took advantage of it, shot documentaries, did travelogues, or just decided to have an unforgettable month.  I wished I could have gone along, but I had a day job then and it wasn’t the kind that bought into those sort of dreams. Or any dreams, come to think of it.

Well, they did it again. It took me 30 seconds to consider it.

So, I already have things going on through September, but I had a lot of days with nothing specific planned. I guess I now have things planned.

This is where the people who have enjoyed or wish to enjoy the movie come in. After considering what to do with all this, I have decided a GET LAMP tour is the way to go.

Here’s how it’ll work.

Obviously, my motion is dictated by the JetBlue flight map.  If they don’t fly somewhere, I can’t go there.

If you’re located in one of those destinations, have a screening room or a way to show things on a projector or otherwise can let me show GET LAMP, send me a mail at tour@textfiles.com.

I’d prefer open events, but if you’re part of a company and want something internal, I’ll happily talk to you. Doing something during the day at a business and then that evening at a hacker space or art space would be ideal.

I’m comfortable with crowds, generally entertaining, and I love Q&As. The movie is one I’m proud of and will happily discuss for quite some time. I think the subject is also fascinating and will happily discuss that as well.

For people who know me primarily for my other endeavors and mostly just want me to show up in general, I understand and am happy to talk about those things too.

Does this sound interesting to you? Mail me and we’ll discuss it.

As dates become known, I’ll add them to the site and make sure they’re well announced.

A promotional tour! Who’d have thought it.

Update: There is now an official JET LAMP Tour Page which I’ll be updating.

15 Comments on “GET LAMP: The Tour (Update: Page is Live)”

1. 1 Grey Frequency said at 5:39 am on August 18th, 2010:

I think this is a very cool use of the JetBlue All You Can Jet pass. I hope you will journal/document GET LAMP: The Tour somewhere online. It would be fun to read your touring adventures.

2. 2 Stephanie Mason-Teague said at 5:49 am on August 18th, 2010:

Cinematique is a Non-Profit organization with the goal of bringing the best of Indie, and Foreign films to the Daytona Beach area. We also are the creators of the Daytona Beach Film Festival each year.

3. 3 Jason Scott said at 7:26 am on August 18th, 2010:

So is cinematique interested in having me be at something in Daytona?

4. 4 Post Position » Get Lamp and Watch said at 8:07 am on August 18th, 2010:

[…] Scott is now preparing for a “Jet Lamp” tour in September, in which he’ll show the film around the country. Perhaps you’ll get to […]

5. 5 Eric said at 8:19 am on August 18th, 2010:

I’d selfishly like for you to do a showing in Houston (which is indeed a JetBlue destination) and I’m pretty sure I could get you a venue.

(Our local Alamo Drafthouse (www.drafthouse.com) has a video projector, has hosted indie documentaries (I saw “No Maps for These Territories” there) , will let the filmmaker sell DVDs and merch right there in the theater lobby, and will even do a bit of promotion for you. We could undoubtedly get you a free place to stay and eat, transportation to and from the airport, etc.)

*However*… 30 days yields up a limited number of good days for destinations, and despite having 4+ million people in our county, the geek community isn’t well organized here. How many people in attendance / DVDs sold would you need to justify it? I can put out feelers to see if we could make the cut.

Less selfishly, you should absolutely hit Austin. It’s smaller, but very geeky, very friendly to filmmakers, and the main Alamo Drafthouse location there is a *stellar* venue for this sort of thing.

If you can only hit one, it should be Austin. If you can hit two, we could probably arrange for you to show at the Drafthouse in Houston on one night, then drive you to Austin for the second, and you could fly back from there.

Hell, maybe you can try to swing some joint appearances with Frontalot or some other crossover draw… you’ve got a bit of lead-time.

6. 6 Jason Scott said at 9:17 am on August 18th, 2010:

I am absolutely up for Houston, Eric. Mail me and we can discuss it.

7. 7 ZUrlocker said at 9:44 am on August 18th, 2010:

I hope you’ll make it to Silicon Valley. JetBlue flys into SFO so it should be easy. I’ve already bought a copy of Get Lamp, but I’d love to see it in an open showing. (And get an autograph.)

–Zack

8. 8 Austin Seraphin said at 11:08 am on August 18th, 2010:

Very cool. I hope you can make it to Philly.

9. 9 Steve said at 11:17 am on August 18th, 2010:

I’d vote another YES for Austin, TX. I’d even be happy to do what I can – working with local resources to help get that arranged. Since the idea was first floated by my Houston brethren, I’d do my best to be present if you visit them as well.

10. 10 JayP said at 3:28 pm on August 18th, 2010:

What’s JetBlue got against DFW?
    Sucks. Looks like I’ll visit Houston.
    Double Suck.

11. 11 D.A. Smith said at 4:38 pm on August 18th, 2010:

Eric beat me to the punch in offering to help set up a showing in Houston. Alamo Drafthouse is a great idea and, if they can’t do it on short notice, I’ve got a good backup venue in mind. Regardless, I’d love to help coordinate something if additional help is needed, and spread the word and bring in the fans. Jason, feel free to pass my email address on to Eric to this end.

This is a killer idea, and I hope Houston ends up on the itinerary!

-Dave

12. 12 Tracey said at 5:10 pm on August 18th, 2010:

Piling on for a Houston showing! And joining in my boyfriend’s (Dave’s) offer to help Eric organize. Eric, if you and Dave get in touch, I know we can make this happen whatever the attendance goal. I’ll help with the promotion – we’ll want to get the venue secured and start getting word out asap. Jason, glad you’re doing this, and thanks for the great documentary.

– Get Lamp Coin #796

13. 13 Mike said at 12:26 am on August 19th, 2010:

Shame I can’t join in the fun, but I guess New Zealand is a little off the list… ;-)

14. 14 André said at 11:15 am on August 19th, 2010:

Don’t forget the international shipping! :-)

15. 15 Steve B said at 5:16 pm on August 19th, 2010: