The Catching Up Never Ends

Posted: August 26th, 2010 | Author: | Filed under: production | 11 Comments »

1282853839095 Laura the Happy Mail Lady Kurt the Happy Mailman

The last week or so has been pretty much nothing but packaging boxes and catching up on the enormous number of backorders that had built up. I was caught up to orders made on August 3rd, but had a bunch more to go to catch up to August 18th, which is where I am now. So that’s pretty much all orders made in the last year for GET LAMP. (There’s about 10-12 orders that still need some fixing up today, but that’s all that’s left of them). This translated to something like 300 packages, international and domestic, of GET LAMP.

If this isn’t success, I don’t know what is. ¬†Functioning as your own distributor (and tour booking agent) may not work for everyone, but it sure as heck works for me. ¬†Over 1700 copies of this movie have gone out the door, with a bunch more waiting on a Monday shipment of more collector coins before also going out the door.

At some point, the rumor started that the collector coins are only for pre-orders – not true. Lower numbered coins are only for pre-orders, obviously, because they ordered first. But every sold copy goes out with a coin. I had to order further coins because I was struck with such a wave of orders, even my calling my friends at Monterey Coins as soon as I could afford the next batch has meant this 2-3 day gap. (They’ve worked really hard to get the batch to me as fast as possible, too, so bully for them.)

To keep perspective here, GET LAMP has sold more copies since it went up for sale in December (so 9 months, roughly) than my previous film, BBS, sold in two years. Wow!

I’m seeing lots of happy folks in twitter feeds, on weblogs, in message bases, and in e-mail to me. That’s a great feeling.

Back to the labelmaker!

11 Comments on “The Catching Up Never Ends”

1. 1 ZUrlocker said at 7:40 am on August 27th, 2010:

Congratulations on selling so many copies. I am confident that this will become the best-selling documentary ever on interactive fiction! ;-)

Hopefully my Get Lamp is in this latest batch of shipments!

–Zack

2. 2 Jason said at 7:54 am on August 27th, 2010:

One question, which I can assure you I ask for purely selfish reasons: Does being caught up to the 18th include GET LAMP/BBS combo packs, or is this just “plain” GET LAMP orders?

3. 3 Chris said at 8:17 am on August 27th, 2010:

Thats an amazing amount of orders you’ve shipped, especially for an almost one man project. I can’t wait to get my copy in my hands and watch the hell out of it.

4. 4 Jason Scott said at 8:22 am on August 27th, 2010:

Yes, August 18th includes the combo packs.

5. 5 Jason said at 8:32 am on August 27th, 2010:

Excellent, thanks. My brother-in-law won’t get his Christmas present any earlier, but I’m looking forward to getting my copy of BBS now.

6. 6 Christopher Waite said at 9:27 am on August 27th, 2010:

I’m based in London, UK and received my copy the other day… Very happy! My coin is number 1388.

I watched the documentary today and have to say it’s excellent. The infocom documentary in particular was riveting.

Thanks for a speedy delivery and congratulations on an excellent production.

7. 7 Geoff McHugh said at 10:47 am on August 27th, 2010:

I meant to drop a note to say that coin #0506 arrived this side of the Atlantic last week, along with the copy of BBS I’d ordered.

Just want to add my thanks for the speedy delivery and the quality of every aspect of the documentaries, content, presentation, packaging, everything! If only some of the ‘blockbuster movie’ dvds in my collection were so well presented!

8. 8 Chris said at 5:03 pm on August 27th, 2010:

Speak of the devil, I got my copy today. The coin is superb and its got a nice weight to it. And that packaging is overall fantastic.

Going to pop the dvd in right now.

9. 9 Alex said at 5:13 pm on August 27th, 2010:

Number 695 checking in. :)

Received it today (transatlantic). Looks great. The wife’s got me going to wedding receptions and dinner parties this weekend, but all I want to do is chill with this for an afternoon. Soon, soon.

10. 10 Jason said at 5:30 am on August 29th, 2010:

And as if on command, my combo pack arrived yesterday. Now to block out some time for BBS. Thanks, Jason!

11. 11 doberlec said at 8:05 am on August 29th, 2010:

Coin number 951 and the BBS pack arrived save and sound in Munich, Germany last week. What a great work – I had a short look at the movie yesterday. By the way, I also like how Jason tried to hide the lamp in the interviews – some are incredibly hard to find :D