To My Esteemed Colleages at FLAiR

Posted: October 16th, 2010 | Author: | Filed under: production | 23 Comments »

This is a message for FLAiR, the group that released a DVD Rip of GET LAMP today.

First of all, I knew the day would come that GET LAMP would be turned into a torrent, regardless of anything I said in any manner about it.  With that in mind, your NFO file was particularly heartwarming, including such paragraphs as:

As is common with Jason Scott releases, the DVD is packed with extras, yet we’ve chosen to include none of them. Why? Because he deserves your money, that’s why! Because there’s no greedy corporation behind this, no corrupt distributor, no MPAA no nothing. Because this guy curses digital data lobotomy as much as you do, because he *let* you download this film, because we wanna see what he’s able to do next. If you only buy a single DVD this year, let it be this one.

Know that I appreciate that sentiment very much, and I feel that, all things considered, I am understood here.

However, I’ve just downloaded the torrent, and while the image quality and sound quality is excellent, you’ve made a mistake.

The DVD, as I’ve mentioned before, is interactive with a non-interactive version as well. To accomplish this and save space on the DVD (since it’s packed with stuff), I have a set of discrete tracks that are either summoned (via the interactive choice) or played as a playlist (via the non-interactive choice). Unintentionally (and I do really mean it, it was unintentional), this has made the movie a tad harder to rip, because the movie is in pieces scattered throughout the DVD, and not in any obvious sequential order.

Playing the AVI that FLAiR has released shows that you have ripped only some of the tracks, and ripped one extra one that shouldn’t be in there. To wit:

The Non-Interactive playlist is:

• Introduction
  • Terminal with “Restore” Choice
  • Playing the Game
  • Puzzles
  • Modern Scene
  • Credits (With Zoe Blade Music “Walking in the Rain”)

But in the rip I have now seen, you have:

• Introduction
  • Terminal with “Restore” Choice
  • Playing the Game
  • Modern Scene
  • Terminal with User Interaction
  • Credits (With Zoe Blade Music “Walking in the Rain”)

The “Puzzles” sequence is completely gone, and the Terminal with User Interaction, which is meant to be played when you choose “Interactive Version”, is played again before credits.

While, again, I am pleased you wrote such kind things about me, this mixed-up version makes it look like I made a flawed DVD with doubled scenes, and takes away the entire puzzle sequence, which I am rather proud of.

Please fix, if you can.

Thanks.

UPDATE: A “repack” has been released, fixing my concerns. Thank you.

23 Comments on “To My Esteemed Colleages at FLAiR”

1. 1 RaD Man said at 8:52 pm on October 16th, 2010:

I for one am holding out for the re-release, Get.Lamp.2010.PROPER.DVDRip.XviD-FLAiR

Sadly, the download does not include the kickass minted Get Lamp coin

RaD Man

2. 2 billy said at 11:36 pm on October 16th, 2010:

Definetly purchasing this DVD.. if for nothing else than to support the furthering of these documentaries.. the BBS one was amazing and I want more of these accurate and very personal stories of a time when most of us were coming alive with computers..

3. 3 TDB said at 2:54 am on October 17th, 2010:

I had the same problem ripping my set of DVDs in order to watch them on the go. The BBS Documentary structure was pretty straight forward, Get Lamp was just plain confusing.

And yes, you should get your retro fix delivered directly from Scott. Not just because it’s the Right Thing To Do, but because people still don’t know how to replicate a kick ass commemorative coin on their home printers.

4. 4 opassande » Blog Archive » “Get Lamp” - dokumentär om textäventyr said at 3:02 am on October 17th, 2010:

[…] Jason Scott själv noterar detta i ett brev till releasegruppen Flair som i dagarna släppte “Get Lamp”. Regissören blev rörd över releasegruppens uppmaning att köpa DVD-n samtidigt som han inte är helt nöjd med kvaliteten på avi-n, som exempelvis finns som torrent på The Pirate Bay: I have a set of discrete tracks that are either summoned (via the interactive choice) or played as a playlist (via the non-interactive choice). Unintentionally (and I do really mean it, it was unintentional), this has made the movie a tad harder to rip, because the movie is in pieces scattered throughout the DVD, and not in any obvious sequential order. […]

5. 5 TDA said at 7:06 am on October 17th, 2010:

BBS: The Documentary is the most accurate portrayal of the BBS scene out there (at least in the USA) and is worth every penny. Get Lamp deserves the same recognition. Thanks Jason! I’ll be buying the DVD.

6. 6 Ali Gündüz said at 8:27 am on October 17th, 2010:

The first thing after I received my GET LAMP DVD was to rip it, since my computing setup is not very optical disc-friendly.

The best way to get the genuine experience that Jason intended for his viewers was to directly dd the whole disc into an .iso file. VLC treats these files as if they’re DVDs and gives me all the menus and correct chapters.

7. 7 Nick said at 10:45 am on October 17th, 2010:

Finally – I’ve been waiting for a torrent for ages! It’s a pity it’s a little screwy, I hope a nicer version is released soon; thanks for alerting them / us to this issue.

As ever, I repeat; don’t forget about the non-paypal payment, s’il vous plait!

8. 8 undinism said at 12:53 pm on October 17th, 2010:

sweet, good to get this doco noticed because of it being out on the net. I’m from Aus, I don’t watch “free to air” TV so this may have never come to my attention.

Now to see if I can afford the price, stuck home from a motorbike accident and cannot work raising 2 children is expensive I’ve found!

9. 9 Gil said at 2:35 pm on October 17th, 2010:

Jason, you are the man. !

10. 10 Nevertell said at 1:09 am on October 18th, 2010:

Would rather donate money. do you have that option?

11. 11 Jason Scott said at 6:24 am on October 18th, 2010:

I have a paypal at jason@textfiles.com.

12. 12 Sean Huxter said at 6:47 am on October 18th, 2010:

I purchased this DVD – let me make this clear – I rarely purchase a DVD for $40.00 – most full seasons or series I only purchase if it’s at or under $40.00 – in order to support this project and to enjoy the fruits of Jason’s efforts.

Being perhaps THE topic in retro computing that interests me the most, (until the Commodore 64 doc is produced – hint hint) I was willing to pay the price and not download it for free. Don’t tell Jason this, but I probably would have paid more…

Back in the day, yes, I copied the INFOCOM games. A lot of them. And played them. That was before I had money. But INFOCOM did something clever that Jason also did – they provided feelies. Some of them were required to make gameplay possible – but usually that was easily copied too – but some things were there simply for atmosphere… to hold. To immerse yourself. Jason’s coin is NOT copyable.

Sure, you can download flawed rips if you like, as has happened here, but the notes are correct – IF YOU PURCHASE ONE DVD THIS YEAR – LET THIS BE IT!

It’s that good. Of course given you are interested in the topic.

But you canNOT torrent that lovely coin.

When I could afford it, in my later college years, when I began to do some work to supplement my loans, I was able to purchase the INFOCOM games, and am now a proud owner of every INFOCOM game I ever played, and a few I have never played. I probably own a legit copy of every game they ever made, with perhaps one or two exceptions in later years. I doubt I own a legit copy of Shogun, unless it appears on one of the later DVD compilations… I must own about four separate copies of HHGTTG and Planetfall, as well as folio and graybox versions of a few.

Beside the point. The point is – BUY THIS DVD! Jason deserves it. You deserve it. And you will likely be encouraging further ground-breaking, completely NECESSARY documentaries in future.

(Support your local documentarian. And when the time comes, get “Going Cardboard…”)

Sean.

13. 13 zed said at 10:19 am on October 18th, 2010:

You will/might be pleased to know that FLAiR pred a (hopefully fixed) repack

the nfo adds:
    “REPACK NOTES:

Dear Jason,

Sorry for screwing up your film – we really didn’t mean to, and you deserve better. Please accept our apologies, along with this repack, which should restore the missing bits, and put things back in order. Hope we got it right this time, but if not, by all means do let us know.”

14. 14 Mr. Copy said at 2:29 pm on October 18th, 2010:

That’s really nice of the guys at FLAiR.

Shouldn’t be a problem for a ‘next’ release, of course, as even their desperate, amateur-hour rip will go a long way towards discouraging other people from bothering to spend any time and money making interesting media.

Seriously, you fucking human zeroes, you do one thing all day, which is make it so that people who put their sweat into things suffer financially, and you can’t even bother to check your own work? And then you have the complete lack of wit to understand the hidden subtext of the blog post, which was: FUCK. OFF. SNIVELING. NOBODIES. What a pack of socially awkward aspies.

But hey at least they were sorry. We’re all professionals here!

15. 15 Mbb15 said at 1:38 pm on October 19th, 2010:

Hi Jason,

Ive uploaded the movie (repack) now on TPB, take a look and add a comment if you like it :)

16. 16 Mr. Sloppy said at 9:30 pm on October 19th, 2010:

Mr. Copy, meet Mr. Scott. Mr. Scott, Mr. Copy.

Ah, you already know each other?!

17. 17 daybrinjer said at 7:25 am on October 20th, 2010:

I am proud to say that I’ve seen his talk at Defcon and was so impressed I bought his DVD (one of the few DVDs I have had the desire to buy). Keep up the great work, you’re an inspiration to us all.

18. 18 Mr. Copy said at 7:49 am on October 20th, 2010:

I wish I was Mr. Scott. I mean for real. Like in his skin. It’s so supple.

Anyway, you’re correct in that this is not my main Internet alias. I also go by “Jimbo Wales.”

19. 19 Mikity said at 2:38 am on October 21st, 2010:

I just wanted to chime in and say, I bought *one* DVD this year so far, and this was it.
    Reading through Jason’s blog post, I’m really glad I did. :)

…from an old Infocom fan

20. 20 Name (required) said at 4:21 pm on October 22nd, 2010:

CC3.0

21. 21 Drew Wallner said at 5:30 pm on October 22nd, 2010:

If you haven’t already read about this, thought you might enjoy this news item…

22. 22 Just a guy.. said at 1:44 pm on October 24th, 2010:

I want to thank Jason Scott for making this documentary, and the BBS Documentary. He put a lot of hard work into both and both are well worth the money. I’m ordering the DVD now!

23. 23 Anonynis said at 7:50 pm on October 24th, 2010:

Most directors seeing their stuff on the pirate bay: OMG PEOPLE ARE STEALING MY SHIT SUE SUE SUE SUE SUE.

You: Hi, you’re stealing my shit. Please do it properly.

This reminds me of why I sent you money.